But how do you choose between them?
In our article we’ll take a look at the affordability and design options offered by both companies so you can make the right choice for you. Let’s get started!
Closets By Design currently offers 4 collections. They also provide luxury accessories. There is only a limited warranty available with Closets By Design.
Meanwhile, California Closets provide custom closet options with a wide variety of finishes. Plus, they provide a lifetime warranty.
Why Should You Get A Custom Closet?
Custom closets are appealing because they give you control over the design and finish of your closet. You can also choose whether your custom closet has dual or multipurpose solutions.
A custom closet can also add value to your home, making it a great investment. Plus, installing a custom closet in an empty room can make it appear more furnished.
Style & Finishes
There are four design collections available from Closets By Design. These are Brio, Classic, Everyday, and Regency. Each collection provides textured finishes, solid colors, and woodgrains, and have unique styles.
- Brio Collection: This collection has exciting, modern designs in wood finishes like fir and cypress. They are also affordable.
- Classic Collection: This is a more traditional collection with soft corners. There are plenty of color and material choices to choose from.
- Everyday Collection: This collection is modern and fresh with straight-edge panels and adjustable shelves.
- Regency Collection: This is a sophisticated, luxurious collection with spacious storage.
Meanwhile, California Closets have designs with laminated shelves that are made from reprocessed wood fiber. They have a saturated color palette and have a large range of finish collections:
- CC Luxe Matte Collection: Closets in this collection come in creamy, matte colors. They are resistant to marks and scratches.
- CC Specialty Collection: This collection has a painted wood finish.
- CC Wood Grain Collection: This collection includes closets made of fine wood finishes and rough grain finishes.
- Classic White: This collection provides timeless white closets with coordinating colored accents.
California Closets start the installation process once you’ve signed your contract and once all the materials are ready.
Still, there may be delays in supplies sometimes if certain items are unavailable.
If you want your closet installed on a certain date, then you should contact California Closets about the availability of their items.
The installers at California Closets work from a blank state. Before the installation you will need to remove your old closet and make sure the area is clean and ready.
Installation often takes around 4–5 hours to complete.
California Closets also provide an unlimited lifetime warranty. This warranty is valid as long as you own your home, and you don’t move the closet.
Meanwhile, you can install a closet from Closets By Design in one day by an expert installer. But there is a limited warranty.
Having built-in closet accessories in your customized closet is a bonus. Plus, these accessories are only getting more popular!
And it’s easy to see why, as built-in closet accessories can be so convenient. Let’s take a look at the kinds of accessories offered by Closets By Design and California Closets.
Closet By Design Accessories
- Adjustable Shelves
- Base Molding
- Belt, pants, and tie racks
- Crown Molding
- Deco Doors with Fluted Glass Inserts
- Island with Deco Drawers
- Jewelry Drawers
- Security Drawer
- Shelf Fence
- Tilt-out Hamper
California Closets Accessories
- Collapsible Storage Boxes
- Drawer & Shelf Dividers
- Exclusive Everstyle Drawers
- Hampers & Baskets
- Integrated Safes
- Jewelry Drawer Dividers
- Pull Out Racks & Accessories
- Shoe Storage
Both California Closets and Closets By Design offer free at-home consultations.
Their design consultants will create a 3D presentation of the closet of your dreams. You can sign up for free consultations via their websites.
Your free consultation can take place the same week you booked it. The free consultations consist of taking measurements and discussing your desired design.
Still, you may need to book a follow-up consultation with California Closets for a 3D viewing.
Whole Home Closets
Both Closets By Design and California Closets can install closets throughout your house.
They can help you to organize your closets, garage cabinets, home office, laundry rooms, pantry, wall beds, and more.
California Closets and Closets By Design can also help you renovate small home libraries or hobby rooms. Both companies can help you better organize and showcase your possessions.
Since Closets By Design is custom-made, there are no general pricing quotes.
This means that the cost will depend on how many accessories you add, how complex the design is, and how many shelves there are in your closet.
But they also have a ready collection that makes planning your budget easier.
California Closets’ Everyday Structure Modular Closet has a starting price of around $800. Their closets are also custom-made. The bigger the closet, and the more complex the design, the higher the cost.
Closets By Design and California Closets have many stores all over the country. They also have hundreds of design consultants available for online or at-home consultations.
California Closets have over 150 showrooms nationwide, and a team of 800 design consultants. Meanwhile, Closets By Design has over 50 physical stores all over the world, and five offices.
How To Design Your Closet
When you’re designing your dream closet it can be difficult to know what you actually want or need. It can also be difficult to know how an idea will work in practice.
Before you contact a Closets By Design or California Closets consultant, you should consider the following tips:
- Tip 1: Decide how many shelves you want and how big you want them to be. Next, learn some folding techniques and get into the habit of storing your clothes efficiently.
- Tip 2: Consider adding angled lights in the corners of your closet. This makes finding your clothing items easier.
- Tip 3: Consider adding a sitting area. A seating area allows you to view your closet from a different angle. It is an obvious addition to your closet if you like to sit down while getting dressed.
- Tip 4: Consider hanging a mirror in your closet.
- Tip 5: Install ventilation. A closet without air circulation can lead to mildew and mold. It’s important to make the most of every space while giving your closet enough air.
- Tip 6: Be realistic with closet size. If you have a lot of clothes, then you’re going to need a bigger closet!
- Tip 7: Think about materials. Melamine and wood are the most common materials for a custom closet. These are versatile and durable materials, with an attractive, smooth look.
Melamine in particular is resistant to heat, as it doesn’t shrink or warp under warm conditions. Melamine also has a resin coating that is water-resistant.
Although wood is the most popular of the two materials it does tend to be more expensive than melamine.
Many people love wood because of its rustic appearance and because of how resistant it is to bugs and other pests.
We hope our article has helped you decide which custom closet company is the best choice for you.
Closets By Design has four collections that accommodate a range of budgets. California Closets and Closets By Design have the same number of collections as each other.
However, California Closets are often more expensive. California Closets also charge extra for luxury accessories.
Meanwhile, California Closets provide an unlimited lifetime warranty. Closets By Design does not provide this.
Closets By Design and California Closets provide in-home and online consultations. These consultations are overseen by a designer who can help you bring your dream closet to life.
Both companies can also help with other storage solutions around the home. They can also both install your closet pretty quickly.
No matter your decision, you’re sure to get a beautiful closet that helps you to optimize your space.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Much Does It Cost For A Design Consultant From Closets By Design Or California Closets To Come To My Home?
Most custom closet companies provide a free consultation, either at home or online. But there may be extra costs with California Closets.
Can You Make Adjustments To The 3D Rendering Of Your Closet?
Yes, you can. Closets By Design And California Closets both consult you on your design. They will also give you the opportunity to make amendments.
Will Technicians Explain The Features Of The Closet Once It’s Installed?
Yes, they will talk you through the features of your new closet once it’s installed. Technicians will also go over the warranty policy with you.